Robert Burns moved to Dumfriesshire in 1788 when he took up the lease of Ellisland Farm a few miles north of Dumfries and Dumfries itself in 1791, living there until his death in 1796.
Burns wrote many poems in Dumfries both at Ellisland Farm and in the town also, including Tam O'Shanter, A Man's a Man for A'that & Auld Lang Syne.
Burns statue which is opposite Greyfriars church in the centre of Dumfries was designed by Amelia Paton Hill, sculpted in Carrara, Italy in 1882.
The statue is just one of a series of associations with Scotland's most famous poet to be found in the town. The unusual Mid Steeple on the High Street
where Burns' body lay in state was once the tolbooth and prison, another and a just a small distance down the High Street is the Globe Inn which dates from 1610 is located down a narrow close was his favorite Howff.
There is also Robert Burns' house at 24 Burns Street,his mausoleum in St Michael's Churchyard.and on the opposite side of the River Nith is the Robert Burns Centre, housed in what was once the Dumfries Mill.